Friday, January 15, 2010

I was asked recently if I would be interested in helping to answer some letters sent in by people seeking prayer/counsel to a certain website that a pastor friend of ours is in charge of. This has certainly not been an easy task, and I have felt woefully inadequate to give any sort of counsel to the cries for help that come in to this site, but as I've spent time praying for these people, I believe that God has begun to use me to speak back to them and I pray that it has brought some comfort to them to know that He loves them unconditionally and that there are people -the body of Christ- who love them as well and are standing with them in prayer in their times of need.
As I've been in the process of writing back to some of these dear ones, it has occurred to me that what God is saying to them could be just as applicable to all our lives so I thought I might share a couple of my (His) responses here in my blog.

This first one is in response to an adulterous affair/possible divorce...

Dear _________,
I’ve been praying for you and your husband since I first read your letter... my heart goes out to you. I want you to know that I’m here if you want to talk about this. There are no easy answers here, but some things that have come to mind while praying... If you are not wanting to get a divorce at this time, is there a chance that your husband would settle for a time of seperation without filing for divorce? This would give you both time to think things through a bit more, and give a chance for reconciliation if that is what you are hoping for.

It is good that you have been relying on your faith – sometimes that is truly all we have to hold on to. I am reminded of the scripture in Psalm 68, which reads:

“Father to the fatherless, defender of widows--this is God, whose dwelling is holy.”

And there is another verse, in Psalm 27:10 – “Even if my father and mother abandon me, the LORD will take care of me.”

I know that you must feel as though you have been abandoned.. and by the one whom you should have been able to trust with all confidence to be your closest support and ally. But satan does roam about continually, searching for whom he may devour..and your husband fell into his trap. People will dissappoint. That is a hard fact of life. But if we are trusting God..truly trusting Him as our very ALL, He will never let us down, though we may go through seemingly unbearable trials, He is always there with us. I hope I am not bombarding you with too many scriptures, but as I write, more and more just keep coming to mind. I think God wants to get across to you how very deeply He loves and cares for you, and how hurt He Himself is over this thing that has happened to you. If I may share a couple more scriptures, these two came to mind:

"Can a woman forget her nursing child And have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you”. –Isaiah 49:15

In the following one, I feel that God just wants you to know His “Shepherd’s heart” toward you...especially as a young mother, I believe He wants to say to you that He will be with you..and with your dear child..as a loving Shepherd caring for His dear ones during this terribly difficult time in your lives.

He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. –Isaiah 40:11

I and my husband will continue to be in prayer for you and yours. I would suggest that you try to be around friends/family who can be a support to you through this time...as I said before, I am here if you would like to talk/have questions/ just wanna vent.


Yours in Christ,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment